DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE - JOB SUMMARY
The Development Associate is responsible for all administrative aspects of development, fundraising, and associated communication, events, and program activities. The Development Associate plays an important role by providing support to the Executive Director and the Board of Directors, participating in all fundraising activities including donor relations, solicitation, research, marketing and communications and direct donor appeals, and events.
Interested applicants should send their resume and a cover letter outlining their fit for the role as a single PDF document to email@example.com. Please use “SFS Development Associate – [Your Name]” as the subject line. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
No phone calls, please. SFS is a Tysons, VA-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and research and educational think tank focused on U.S. foreign policy and national security in the Western Hemisphere.
Send all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Process donations and prepare acknowledgement letters and other correspondence.
- Send appropriate documentation to process credits to donors.
- Manage relationships on the donor database and communicate accordingly with various stakeholders (Board of Directors, Executive Director) for updates.
- Maintain foundation, corporation and individual donor files (on the database and server).
- Conduct preliminary research on prospective corporate, foundation and individual donors.
- Reconcile donations on a weekly basis.
- Coordinate productions and mailing of spring and year-end fundraising campaigns.
Events & Networking
- Maintain guest lists, gather and prepare registration materials and other duties as assigned for fundraising events.
- Prospect and procure raffle donations for the annual event.
- Attend related event functions year-round to network with potential and current donors and identify prospects.
- Lead event logistics, including but not limited to planning and management of technical and logistical support services.
- Review partner and related think tank events to identify donor opportunities.
- Prepare media materials for distribution. (i.e. copying, filing, mailing, e-mailing)
- Assemble media and donor kits for events and meetings.
- Develop and maintain the organization donor database, LGL.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director and/or Creative Director.
Administration & Finance
- Process payroll and contractor payments through payment system, Bill.com.
- Prepare and post receipts, deposits, purchase orders, invoices, refunds, and other standard bookkeeping tasks.
- Keep record of invoicing and payment history.
- Keep an organized file system.
- Liaise with accounting, finance, and human resources contractors.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Two to three years’ experience in an administrative or development position, preferably in a not-for-profit development office.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite, Database management. experience
- Fluency in English and Spanish (additional language skills are also helpful).
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English.
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Any graphic design or video-editing skills or abilities are a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team-oriented.
- A self-starter, data and deadline driven, and ability to multi-task with solid organizational and time-management skills
ABOUT THE CENTER:
The Center for a Secure Free Society (SFS) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and national security think tank pursuing a society of free, responsible, and vigilant individuals advancing peace and prosperity based on the shared values of limited government, national sovereignty, free enterprise, and strong national security.
As one of the premier think tanks focusing on national security and Western Hemisphere issues, a job at SFS provides an opportunity to gain firsthand experience working in the think tank industry, from research and publications to fundraising, programming, and development operations.